Thursday, May 17, 2007

Learning from Mistakes

Wow. I thought clinical would be a nice break for me from studying but that was the wrong assumption. Getting up at 4:30 am is exhausting. Some days are overwhelming. And there are days when I feel like a complete failure at being a student nurse. Some mistakes I have made over the last two weeks have either made me cry or laugh. And I joke that "I could write a novel 500 pages long with all my mistakes." Today was one of those days where my colleagues stated frequently, "I'll bet you'll never make those mistakes again." For one, when I went to shave my patient I thought I was doing him a favor by putting shaving cream on his face. I thought without it it would for sure irritate his skin. Well needless to say he uses an electric razor and apparently your NEVER supposed to use shaving cream with an electric razor. I learnt that lesson very quickly!!! We also decided to take out his partial dentures so that we could clean his mouth, well we were unable to put them back in so we left the bottom ones out. I keep hoping that I'll remember all the mistakes I have made and learn from them.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Hi Carolyn... I don't know you (yet)... BUT. Can I just say that from what I've heard from the family, and read on this blog of yours that I think you are quite wonderful, and if I had a PENNY for every mistake I have made in life I would be a GAbillionaire... As the Lord keeps teaching me: "keep on truckin"... constantly He speaks to me about humility and perseverance... and letting go of the need to have it all in control. SIGH - how I wish I could be more in control... alas. I figure I'll laugh at the little things as much as possible... at least that way, someday I can blame my wrinkled cheeks, forehead and eyes on the fact that I laughed toooo much... Much peace and many Blessings to you!

Erica (Tim's fiance)